Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Which Candy Am I?

Halloween is over and the race for some to get those candy mark downs are on!
And just a few days ago I saw the familiar media stories surface that do each year - what our favorite candy we buy this time of year says about our personality. Kinda fun, but supposedly because Snickers and Reeses Cups are a couple of mine, I am some strange enigma of both being a "crowd-pleaser who makes friends in every situation" and "someone who tends to be creative, private and sometimes misunderstood".
I already sometimes have enough trouble figuring out who I am on any given day without some scientist or marketing intern telling me what my sweet tooth means when it rears its ugly head!

But God did use the news story to remind me of two things.

#1 That it's all of us thrown in the big bag of life together with all our differences that makes Life sweet:
1 Cor. 12: 4-6 There are different kinds of gifts, but the same Spirit distributes them. There are different kinds of service, but the same Lord. There are different kinds of working, but in all of them and in everyone it is the same God at work.
That when the bag is opened each type of candy that is contained within will sweeten the life of someone different. And without the differences in us think of how one dimensional our effect would be on one another for His Glory - each of us has a specific purpose!

#2 That I myself am a assorted bag of candy:
James 1:17-20 All generous giving and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights, with whom there is no variation or the slightest hint of change. By his sovereign plan he gave us birth through the message of truth, that we would be a kind of firstfruits of all he created.
All that He has equipped me with at any given time, the different aspects of me, all the sides of my personality, the changes as I grow older, the sides of me that different people bring out - its all a part of how He wants me to serve. Every day I am someone slightly different than the day before so I can relate to someone new, or at least someone familiar in a whole new way!

Psalm 139:14 "I will praise you, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made; marvelous are your works, and my soul knows very well."

I am to revel in my differences, in who He has made me to be!

2 Corinthians 9:8, "And God is able to make all (not just some) grace abound toward you; that you always having all sufficiency in all things may abound to every good work."

Whoever I am to wake up each day and be, He has equipped me for it. All I need to do is be faithful to arise and ask Him to help me unwrap who that is and celebrate the sweetness and wonder of it all!

Marisa

No comments: