Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Am I Determined or Defiled?





Matthew 15: 16-18 says:
“Don’t you understand yet?” Jesus asked. “Anything you eat passes through the stomach and then goes into the sewer. But the words you speak come from the heart—that’s what can defile you.

Who I am isn't determined by what legalistic traditions I keep, or by what I do that only shows I hold or subscribe to this or that behavior or habit... I am determined to be His and about His work only by the way I am seen and known to love and treat another.

No amount of quiet times, devotions read, praying at the altar on Sunday, or giving money to a need can replace life change, getting to the heart of someone, loving them where they are, helping them reach a higher place of joy, making their messiness yours where you can, and just being kind in our accounting of one another.

I don't think that God is so much interested in the 'good girl' in me. I think He wants the me that errors but knows His voice and is ready then to repent and try again. I believe He wants the me that can be used in the dirty places. But not just in locations, also in the dirtiness of the heart - mine and the one I am to serve. I know He wants to use me to flavor the world, and He wants to be glorified in how I speak and love another.

Lord let my words set about a burning to know you, not one that destroys. And help me love well. 
Call me out to truly seek the heart, and speak life and hope into it.

Joyful on the Journey
Marisa


No comments: