Friday, June 8, 2012

Making Brave



I wrote down something in big bold letters from our last session of the Angela Thomas “Brave” bible study last night.

Together a group of about 10 looked at many different things over the last few weeks that we as women at one time of another face - feeling fearful, broken, invisible, being worn out, undisciplined, and bearing a thorn.
It was at times an exhausting study - these uncomfortable things are markers of hardships and trials of life. And they are uncomfortable to think about let alone go through. 

But once again God is trying to show me that these are actually the joys of life because if I let them they bring blessings – blessings of being used by Him for His Glory
"Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of mercies and God of all comfort, who comforts us in all our affliction so that we will be able to comfort those who are in any affliction with the comfort with which we ourselves are comforted by God. For just as the sufferings of Christ are ours in abundance, so also our comfort is abundant through Christ. But if we are afflicted, it is for your comfort and salvation; or if we are comforted, it is for your comfort, which is effective in the patient enduring of the same sufferings which we also suffer.”  - 
2 Cor 1:3-6

He is once again telling me that I can use those hard things to dig in and identify with Christ or I can turn away, wallow, stay broken, and miss His touch, healing, and what He has waiting on the other side.
“It is the Spirit himself bearing witness to our Spirit that we are children of God, and if children, then heirs, heirs of God and fellow heirs with Christ, provided we suffer with him in order that we may also be glorified with him - Romans 8:16-17

I want to be more diligent to seek Him quickly for comfort when I am fearful, for a redeeming when I am broken, to be truly & fully seen when I feel invisible, to find rest when I’m worn out, for strength to be disciplined, and as my all sufficient portion to endure the thorn!
To run to Him first – always - instead of my husband, friends, a distraction, or whatever else my mind sometimes tells me will meet my immediate need.

The saddest thing is that as we walked through those hard things together the last 7 weeks, what came sharply into focus is the fact that they will eventually become a prison, a holding cell, and a binding - but by our own hands. Because even if the things that have hurt us, made us feel afraid, worn out, and left us broken are at another’s hand and doing, we only are left in captivity by our own choice.

See here’s the truth…
1. We can make a run for it and be released straight into the arms of Jesus! But instead we try in our own strength and mind, both too weak, instead of trusting He is a strong enough shield to do the fighting for us.
2. The cage door is unlocked! But we’re just too afraid to move through the pain.
3. We can be free! But we choose fear, bitterness, and unforgiveness and hold a shackle in our fist that has long ago rusted and busted apart, no longer able to restrain.

Brave - to confront with resolution

 “And the God of grace, who called you to his eternal glory in Christ, after you have suffered a little while, will himself restore you and make you strong, firm and steadfast” - I Peter 5:10

We have a Kinsman Redeemer (someone closer than a brother, who is willing, who is able, and that paid our debt in full) to take us somewhere else and away from that which we feel captive to and bring resolution if we let Him make us brave!

The truth I wrote down in bold letters?

TO REMAIN CAPTIVE TO WHATEVER MAKES ME FEEL FEARFUL, BROKEN,  INVISIBLE, WORN OUT, UNDISCIPLINED, AND DISCOURAGED, MEANS THAT I CHOOSE NOT TO GO WHERE GOD GOES AND WHERE HE WANTS TO TAKE ME – I CHOOSE NOT TO PARTAKE IN THE LIFE HE HAS DESIGNED FOR ME... I AM TELLING GOD NO

Whoa.
Is that me?
Is that you?

As a famous bald man with a mustache from Texas on TV is fond of asking… 'and how’s that working for us?'



"Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? Shall trouble or hardship or persecution or famine or nakedness or danger or sword?  As it is written 'For your sake we face death all day long; we are considered as sheep to be slaughtered.' No, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him who loved us" - Romans 8:35-37


I want to be free at any given moment to go wherever God leads with no restraints, with no regrets, to accept the promises He is waiting to fulfill for me, and even if the thorn remains I want to live my life expecting Him to show off despite and because of it, and I want to run unhindered with my Jesus prize in sight!!

Now, on to the business of making brave 


Joyful on the Journey
Marisa

No comments: